unlocking autism one puzzle piece at a time

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Through the eyes of a Grandparent

I can remember so clearly going through my daughter's pregnancy with her we were excited, nervous yet we were expecting normalacy. Little did we know that when she started going into labor when she was 6 months along how things would be.

She was put one bed rest do to the fact that that baby just wanted to come out and meet his Grandma. My daughter went into premature labor 6 or 7 times so the doctor put her on bed rest and I know how hard it was for someone as active as her to stay down. So I had friends and family members drop in or stay with her while I was at work. Ok, I know what you are thinking - she was an adult and she didn't need a baby sitter. Well I am still the mom and yes I was being over protective.

The doctor kept telling us - full term in the best, so just keep taking it easy. Well, they kept giving her the stuff they give to stop labor and well I don't remember the name of it and to this day I wonder if that had maybe a small part in what we later would find out to be Autism, but I am not a doctor but will always wonder.

When she was around 33  maybe 34 weeks she went into labor again, this time after they gave her "that stuff" they admitted her, and the doctor said  - well the little guy just wants to come out so if the labor stops tonight, we will induce in the morning. Well why didn't they just let her stay in labor in the first place instead of giving her one more dose of "that stuff"? So as we both tired to sleep we wondered if we picked the right name, because I got to help her pick the name and that was so every exciting. And then we were both scared, and excited, and restless but we new exciting things were about to happen.

Well the next day, we were so happy and excited when little Hunter came into this world weighing it at just 5 lbs, he was just a little handful of pure joy. He was so tiny but the staff and doctor said everything was working and that she should make sure the baby gets to shots...because he is a premmie...

If I knew then what I know now I would have said, Wait, her is not old enough, his little body is not ready yet and we don't want to vaccinate. But 9 and a half years ago, I didn't know, I wasn't informed. And my daughter she well I guess both of us we believed what the doctors told us.

Coming up next...More Through the eyes of a Grandparent...birth to 18 months

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elisa's Mum,
    (I could't find your name)I pressed a button on Elisa's blog and found my way here.
    So I read your blog, what you have written is so personal, informative and profound.
    You must continue your story and share your experiences and knowledge, it will give Help and Hope to others who come here.
    Best Wishes to You and Your Family
    and Thank You,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete